Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Home Sweet Home

After viewing Hanna's profile, I became intent on the idea that she and I were meant to be together. The smile that hid deep behind her eyes, was beckoning me to her.

Something larger than me had set the wheels in motion.

Each weekend, I found time to go online and look at Hanna's photolisting. I would re-read her profile and giggle a bit about our common love of condiments. I would speak to her through my laptop screen-- as if my voice could teleport to where she was; I told her that I was beginning the footwork to come and get her. I wondered what her voice sounded like. I always said goodnight to her before I went to sleep. I had an attachment to her that I could not explain.


I found myself, when out in the world, wondering if Hanna would like a particular thing: a toy, a hat, a sweater, a restaurant. I was thinking in the manner which I imagine parents do. It felt comfortable, natural.

I knew that one of the first steps to being able to foster and then hopefully adopt Hanna, was that I needed to move into a larger home, one where Hanna could have a room all her own.

And so I began my search for a home, a home fit for a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment