Saturday, May 7, 2011

Anything is Possible

Is a mother something one becomes only when something is born of their womb?

Is it possible that a mother is something one becomes when metaphoric strings attach a child to their heart? Is it possible that a mother is something one becomes even though a child might not know she is out there, waiting patiently? Is it possible that a mother is something one becomes when they care for something so deeply-- because it relies on them infinitely? Is it possible that a mother is something one becomes who is make-believe and seen in the likeness of someone who took her place while she was absent? Is it possible that a mother is something one becomes when they vow into marriage? Is it possible that a mother is something one becomes by accident or by miracle? Is it possible that a mother is something one becomes because they imagine it is possible?

I never imagined the things I could not be...only the things I would become.

Thank you to my mother, who had me (and my womb-mate) many years ago, so that I may begin to know the joy of what becoming a mother is.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe that I read your words before even meeting. It was wonderful being able to meet the woman behind the words last Saturday. :) I am excited to learn more about your process with dear Hanna.

    ReplyDelete